Current Partners and Projects
Baobab Youth Development Association
“We have connected with the people in our community, Nema Kunka, but would like to connect and network with a similar organization in the United States,” says Baobab Youth Development Association (BYDA) president Buba Camara.
The Baobab Youth Development Association’s 72 members live in Nema Kunka, an economically-challenged community, south of Banjul, the capital city of The Gambia, West Africa.
- We sent our seventh barrel of gently-used clothes. They sell the clothes at reasonable prices and use the proceeds to fund their other community projects
- Their soap production enterprise is in full-swing. Their product is available in Metro Washington at: Nisey’s Boutique in Mt. Rainier, MD; Alexandria Black History Museum in Alexandria, VA; Glenmont Beauty Supply in Silver Spring, MD; and Newstyles Beauty Supply also in Silver Spring, MD.
- Begin developing the capacity to provide support to challenged students
Connect With Baobab Youth Development Association
Bakindik Youth Development Association
We have known Ebrima Jallow, president of the Bakindik Youth Development Association (BYDA),
for five years before actually starting to work with his group in 2017. This is our second set of projects on the north bank of the Gambia River.
- We sent our third barrel of gently-used clothes. They sell the clothes at reasonable prices and use the proceeds to fund their other community projects
- BYDA - Richard Pierpoint Library received 10 new books
Connect With Bakindik Youth Development Association
Balal Public Library,
Ayuba Suleiman Diallo Education Center
I initially reached out to Alhasan Bah after reading about him and his interest on a listing of Mandela Fellows. Since its start in 2014 by the Obama Administration, the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders has provided young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to hone their skills at a U.S. higher education institution with support for professional development after they return home.
- Provided funds to install windows and fans in the Balal Public Library, Ayuba Suleiman Diallo Education Center
Connect With Balal Public Library, Ayuba Suleiman Diallo Education Center
Previous Partners and Projects
Gambia National Library
The Gambia National Library Service Authority (GNLSA) serves The Gambia, West Africa as its national and public library.
- In March 2012, POHGEP installed the West Africans in Early America exhibit
- In March 2013, POHGEP helped the GNLSA create a web page, Facebook page, Twitter account, and YouTube page
- Trained personal to teach PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Access, Internet Basics, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype for personal and business use
Connect With the Gambia National Library Service Authority
Connect With the Port Of Harlem Gambian Education Partnership
Like Us On
Follow Us On
See Us On
Send Us an Email
Our Business Sponsor